Who benefits from eduPKI?
By allowing existing CAs to issue certificates for those GÉANT Services that
require them, eduPKI permits the operators of those GÉANT Services to deal
with their established PKI provider, following familiar procedures which
reduces the burden of using new services.
Thanks to the federated approach, operators of GÉANT Services are able to
obtain all necessary certificates from either the CA managed by their own
NREN (or equivalent service like e.g. TCS), or via the internal eduPKI CA if
the certificates of those other CAs don't fit the purpose or trust requirements.
- Avoids the creation of per service-based CAs.
- Achieves cost efficiencies by avoiding mitigating duplication of infrastructures.
- Facilitates consistency and best practices across the project.
- Releases workload from services relating to certificate management.
- Increases security in the area of digital certificates, as assessment is performed by eduPKI experts rather than relying on service developers.
- Improves user experience, by relaying whenever possible on certification authorities known to end-users.