eduPKI enables trust establishment in GÉANT services. Trust promotes users’ reliance on a service and facilitates confidence in the security and integrity of GÉANT services.
eduPKI service objectives:
- Support other project services in defining their security requirements.
- Provide them with digital certificates by federating existing NRENs certificates services.
By coordinating and harmonising trust across GÉANT services, eduPKI:
- Ensures efficiency, as trust is dealt by a group of experts.
- Facilitates implementation of a cohesive technical and policy infrastructure.
- Avoids duplication of effort in different activities.
- Eases the transition from the current project to the next one.
- Consequently improves the end-users' experience.
eduPKI successes include:
- Business case approved, May 2010.
- Governance and procedures in place, September 2010.
- Cooperation with eduroam resulted in the creation of an eduroam trust profile.
- Cooperation with SA2 resulted in the creation of an Multidomain Network Service profile.
- Pilot phase started in summer 2010, completed February 2011.
- Service started 1 March 2011.