Real-time, multi-domain performance monitoring.
perfSONAR is an open-source, modular and flexible architecture for active network performance monitoring that provides a view of network performance across multiple domains, allowing NOC and PERT engineers to seamlessly analyse and diagnose network behaviours across the entire end-to-end path. The tools provided in the perfSONAR suite perform active measurements of throughput, packet loss, delays and jitter, and record network route and path changes.
The GÉANT project offers three types of perfSONAR-related services:
- perfSONAR software development and user support within the international collaboration with ESnet, Internet2, Indiana University and University of Michigan.
- Supporting the GÉANT community to deploy perfSONAR in their environment as a part of perfSONAR’s consultancy and expertise service, providing advice, training and support for designing and deploying a perfSONAR-based measurement architecture.
- Providing Performance Measurement Platform.
The perfSONAR project
The perfSONAR project is supported by five international partners: ESnet, Internet2, Indiana University, University of Michigan and GÉANT. The global perfSONAR team develops, maintains, distributes and provides support for the full perfSONAR tools suite that is installed and used on numerous R&E networks around the world to perform active measurements and monitor network performance. perfSONAR users are located worldwide and form the global perfSONAR community.
The roadmap for the perfSONAR project can be found on the perfSONAR website here
perfSONAR Consultancy and Expertise
perfSONAR Consultancy and Expertise aims to provide support and disseminate knowledge about perfSONAR usage for the GÉANT community and offers four different activity types:
- Help to ensure that design measurement architectures and infrastructures based on perfSONAR fit the performance monitoring and measurement needs of the requesting party.
- Specific training on perfSONAR deployment, usage and best practices.
- Extra support to deploy and operate perfSONAR provided by GÉANT and NRENs, as requested.
- Maintenance and operation of a set of perfSONAR services useful to the global perfSONAR community and GÉANT area perfSONAR users in particular.
Feel free to contact the team via firstname.lastname@example.org
Performance Measurement Platform (PMP)
Performance Measurement Platform (PMP) is a successor of successfully completed perfSONAR Small Nodes in GÉANT project.