Real-time, multi-domain performance monitoring.
perfSONAR is an open-source, modular and flexible architecture for active network performance monitoring that provides a view of network performance across multiple domains, allowing NOC and PERT engineers to seamlessly analyse and diagnose network behaviours across the entire end-to-end path. The tools provided in the perfSONAR suite perform active measurements of throughput, packet loss, delays and jitter, and record network route and path changes.
The GÉANT project offers three types of perfSONAR-related services:
- perfSONAR software development and user support within the international collaboration with ESnet, Internet2, Indiana University and University of Michigan.
- Supporting the GÉANT community to deploy perfSONAR in their environment as a part of perfSONAR’s consultancy and expertise service, providing advice, training and support for designing and deploying a perfSONAR-based measurement architecture.
- Providing Performance Measurement Platform
The perfSONAR project
The perfSONAR project is supported by five international partners: ESnet, Internet2, Indiana University, University of Michigan and GÉANT. The global perfSONAR team develops, maintains, distributes and provides support for the full perfSONAR tools suite that is installed and used on numerous R&E networks around the world to perform active measurements and monitor network performance. perfSONAR users are located worldwide and form the global perfSONAR community.
The roadmap for the perfSONAR project can be found on the perfSONAR website here
perfSONAR Consultancy and Expertise
perfSONAR Consultancy and Expertise aims to provide support and disseminate knowledge about perfSONAR usage for the GÉANT community and offers four different activity types:
- Help to ensure that design measurement architectures and infrastructures based on perfSONAR fit the performance monitoring and measurement needs of the requesting party.
- Specific training on perfSONAR deployment, usage and best practices.
- Extra support to deploy and operate perfSONAR provided by GÉANT and NRENs, as requested.
- Maintenance and operation of a set of perfSONAR services useful to the global perfSONAR community and GÉANT area perfSONAR users in particular.
Feel free to contact the team via firstname.lastname@example.org
Performance Measurement Platform (PMP)
Performance Measurement Platform (PMP) is a successor of successfully completed perfSONAR Small Nodes in GÉANT project.
It consists of:
- low-cost hardware nodes with pre-installed perfSONAR software and deployed in GÉANT collaborating organisations in Europe and Africa, and
- central components including a central Measurement Archive (MA) and a Dashboard
The small nodes are performing regular measurements towards a few Measurement Points (MPs) located in the core of the GÉANT network and operated by GÉANT network operations centre. The central components that manage the platform elements, gather, store and represent the performance data, are operated and maintained by the PMP operational team in GÉANT project. Small nodes users can shape the predefined setup and configure additional measurements to their needs and get more familiar with the platform.
Feel free to contact the team via email@example.com
Visit the perfSONAR Project website for more information on the service and how to download and install it.
Download perfSONAR here
Registered users can use the perfSONAR User Interface to manage and monitor their network. (eduGAIN enabled)
See where NRENs and Researchers have deployed perfSONAR.