There are three main operational areas of work in the GÉANT Project:
- to build and operate the pan-European research and education network;
- to develop and deliver a portfolio of innovative, federated services including connectivity, trust and identity, cloud, real-time collaboration and media services;
- to undertake collaborative research programmes.
The GÉANT Project is structured into four functional activity groups to deliver this:
- Networking Activities (NAs) support the operation and management of all GN4-2 activities including project management, internal and external communications and promotion, international liaison, and business development.
- Service Activities (SAs) provide the GÉANT Project services for the research and education community.
- Joint Research Activities (JRAs) are targeted at critical analyses of future network and application technologies with a view to future deployment of emerging technologies across the network and services.
These three activity groups are split into 10 activities, as shown below.