Trust and identity
The ability for research teams to collaborate across organisations and borders is a crucial advantage.
The development of effective trust and identity systems is vital for GÉANT and the wider research and education community.
This research focuses on enhancing the technologies aimed at the needs of campuses, Identity federations and research communities. Some of this research will develop services that enhance eduGAIN and others will provide supporting technologies for federated identities. This research is focused on the following core areas;
Federations and Campuses
This work aims to make federated identity of a pan-european scale easier for federations and campus IdPs to adopt and more scalable. This will help federations and IdPs to cope with significant growth of entities via eduGAIN, and become more secure in complex operating environments. Highlights include;
- Updating eduGAIN's policy, constitution and best practice to address the signifcant growth over recent years and adapt to the pending GDPR regulations and enhancing the global scope of eduGAIN and prepare for the adoption of technologies beyon SAML.
- Preparing eduGAIN support for SIIRTFI, working closely with AARC and REFEDs and other organisations and activities.
- Development of supporting services for Campus IdP
- Enhancement of monitoring and statistics for eduGAIN
- Enhancing the scalability of metadata exchange to cope with the anticipated growth in demand.
e-research and Service Providers
Enabling the more complex requirements of research communities and the differing trust models of industry providers to enable more sophisticated use of federated identity and to enhance public/private collaboration.
- Enhancing eduGAIN Support - to address complex performance, troubleshooting and diagnostics, in particular for international collaborations
- eduTEAMS - developing virtual organisations to support adhoc research collaborations and enable third party interconnectivity to federated services. More:
- InAcademia - Enabling a lightweight, secure authentication process for commercial service providers to reliably identify students and academic staff. More:
- Identity Assurance - developing models to support assurance across e-research
Advanced Technology Development
Development of distruptive technologies to support the growth in citizen science, e-government initiatives and to enhance to ability of the "long-tail" of R&E to take advantage of interfederated identities.
- OpenID Connect - extending the standard to make it federated and interfedation capable
- User-centric Identities - Formulating policies and services to enable the development of life-long identities to support the new paradigms of mobility, multiple roles and life-long learning in the R&E community. More:
- Multi-factor Authentication - developing support and best practice for the use with eduGAIN federation
- Cross-sector Interfederation - Identify and pilot methods to organise and incorporate eIDA and social identities with eduGAIN
eduroam is a vastly popular service offering millions of users worldwide simple-to-use, secure access to WiFi in campuses and public areas. To support the growth of eduroam GÉANT is undertaking of a range of activities;
- eduroam manged IdP - Developing services to support smaller organisations wshing to offer eduroam access to their users.
- Self Service - supporting services to enhance user self support
- RadSec Scalability - development of a pilot certificate provisioning tool to improve scalability and uptake of services
- Configuration Assistant Tool (CAT) - Evolution of CAT to support new enduser device and OS releases